Monday, January 4, 2016

Stepping Stones or Stumbling Blocks

My challenge this week will come at the beginning so here it is: Go find the one! The lonely, the widow, the lost! Will you do that?

I read a talk by President Thomas S. Monson that I would suggest reading called, "The Long Line of the Lonely". He talks about seeking out, helping, and comforting those who are lonely, sad, or lost. As he told of his numerous experiences with this, he would always end them with these kind of statements: "Not only had I enjoyed my one-sided conversation with her--I had communed with God" or "I may have missed a meeting, but I harvested a memory."

How true are those! Yeah, it may not be all that convenient or comfortable to help those in need. It requires sacrifice of means, personal desires, and most importantly time, but it will mean the world to those whom we offer our service and comfort. He ends his address with these lines: "The leadership of this Church is mindful of the widow, the widower, the lonely. Can we be less concerned? Emerson counseled that rings and jewels are not gifts, but substitutes for gifts. The only real gift is a portion of oneself."

As I pondered this truth, an expert at giving of ones' self and sacrificing for the lost and lonely came to mind, as she does so frequently, and that woman is my angel mother. I read a talk also by President Monson entitled "Behold Thy Mother" in which he includes this perfect poem called “The Name of Mother” :

“The noblest thoughts my soul can claim.
The holiest words my tongue can frame,

Unworthy are to frame the name
More sacred than all other.
An infant when her love first came,
A man, I find it just the same:
Reverently I breathe her name--
The blessed name of mother.”
--George Griffith Fetter

May each of us treasure this truth; one cannot forget mother and remember God. One cannot remember mother and forget God. Why? Because these two sacred persons, God and mother, partners in creation, in love, in sacrifice, in service, are as one.

Mother, I love you! I only strive with my seemingly small effort to become like you in service, charity, and love!

My Father too has taught me to work and rely on the Lord and lead by example in obedience and charity. Dad, when I read this poem I thought of you! I think you will enjoy!

Isn't it strange how princes and kings,

and clowns that caper in sawdust rings,
and common people, like you and me,
are builders for eternity?



Each is given a list of rules;
a shapeless mass; a bag of tools.
And each must fashion, ere life is flown,
A stumbling block, or a Stepping-Stone.
              R. L. Sharpe

May we make stepping stones in stead of stumbling blocks for ourselves by serving those around us, looking for the lost and lonely and going out of our circle of comfort to give them the love at only we can give. I know that we all can do this. It is what our Heavenly Father would want us to do and what our Savior did when He was on the earth.

Email me to tell me about how you have served those in need. I would love to hear all about your progress! It lets me know that all of you are doers of the word and not just hearers only, a kind of accountability, and I just love all of your emails!

Merry Christmas,
Sister Zimmerman

And for the pictures... Guess whats on that tree... It's... "drumroll please"... CAT HAIR and that's the day I found out I'm allergic to cats And my cute companion sister Wi is modeling some Crazy Arizonians fake snow and Christmas decorations... Wow, so funny!



No comments:

Post a Comment